Flaviar Tasting Packs Review
Flaviar Review: Monthly Tasting Experience for 3 to bring the bar home
Flaviar cost: starting at $24.99 for 1st month
Flaviar Tasting Subscription: Flaviar offers new and exciting drinks delivered to your door every month in the form of a tasting pack for you and two of your friends to enjoy. Flaviar changes the way you taste alcohol by expanding your knowledge and allowing you to experience the world of flavors with different brands of spirits each month. Flaviar’s selected premium spirits come in beautiful 45ml flasks for you to enjoy.
Choose from 9 different tasting packs to suit your alcohol of choice:
Whisk(e)y | Rum | Cognac | Gin | Cocktail 101 | Liquor & Arts
Flaviar Tasting Review: The Flaviar Tasting pack comes with five 45ml flasks of your chosen spirit, detailed Flaviar tasting instructions, and tasting notes about each alcohol. Gather your group of 3 and line up your glasses for tasting! The Flaviar tasting pack is sure to bring enjoyment to you and a few friends. The best part is Flaviar brings the bar home with their tasting packs at less than the bar tab for three people!
Flaviar’s tasting instructions are really detailed so the inexperienced taster can learn how to taste like a pro! If you’ve never been to an alcohol tasting tasted before, Flaviar gives you general rules to follow for each of the four tasting categories – color, smell, taste, and finish. This is really helpful and aids in the enjoyment of your alcohol tasting experience.
The first tasting note is the appearance or color of the alcohol, which reveals how the spirit has matured and indicates if the spirit is high in alcohol content. The second note is the smell of the spirit in which the aromas reveal the primary raw materials and secondary aromas from processing such as spices and aging. The third tasting note is the taste or palate of the spirit consisting of sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and savory. The last tasting note is the finish, referring to the length of time the taste lingers in your mouth once swallowed. You’re looking for an enjoyable, lingering finish.
Flaviar helps you out even more by going into depth about each of the above tasting notes in their Flaviar Tasting Instructions insert with every tasting pack subscription. If you didn’t know why you were swirling that glass around before, you will now. Flaviar describes how the alcohol moves around your glass and what it means. They also suggest the glassware best suited for your spirit of choice.
When you are tasting, don’t forget to compare your tasting experience to the Flaviar tasting notes describing the appearance, smell, flavor, and finish. You’ll even get a little history on each of the spirits you taste.
Now for the fun part, onwards to the tasting!
Preflight Flaviar Checklist:
- Flaviar tasting pack
- At least 1 tasting glass for each person, or 1 tasting glass per spirit per person (15 glasses)
- Glasses of water
- Unflavored crackers or something to cleanse your palate
- Snacks to pair with your premium Flaviar spirits
- Set up your glasses for tasting. If you want to disguise the brand names, do so now by covering the label on the bottles. If you are using 15 glasses, you can put 3 glasses in front of each flask you are tasting. Alternately, you can put a post it note on the bottom of your glasses with the spirit brand name and mix them up.
- Taste your spirits and arrange your glasses from best to worst. Flip them over for the reveal! Covering the labels makes it a little more fun, but if you want to keep it simple you can just use a note pad to write your ratings and tasting notes down. Most importantly, you will want to note if you like the taste so you can drink it again.
- After you have revealed the brands, mix the glasses up once more for tasting and see if you can pair the glass to the brand.
While you are tasting:
- Try to name flavors you taste and smell.
- Be descriptive and share your tasting notes with your friends.
- Pair your snacks with the drinks. Try to find what food matches best with your Flaviar tasting samples.
Most importantly, have fun, expand your tasting knowledge, and challenge your friends to a Flaviar tasting experience!
The Flaviar Tasting pack used for this Flaviar review was the Whiskey Welcome Pack. This pack included 5 whiskies from 5 different countries to expand the tasting styles and diversity: Ireland, India, Japan, Scotland, & Switzerland. Fun trivia included in this tasting pack informs you that whisky/whiskey is basically beer without hops, that has been distilled 2-3 times.
- Writer’s Tears Irish Whiskey – a mixture of malted & unmalted barley distilled in a copper pot still, unique to Ireland
- Appearance: pale yellow gold
- Smell: soft, sweet corn, hints of bourbon
- Taste: silky smooth & soft. Honey start, almonds, corn, vanilla, apples, fresh wood
- Finish: medium warm with an oak return
- Amrut Indian Single Malt – made from select Indian barley grown in the Himalayas, mashed and distilled in small batches, and matured in oak barrels 3000 feet above sea level at Bangalore, the garden city of India
- Appearance: golden yellow
- Smell: liquorice-bourbon notes with bitter-sweat balance
- Taste: barley-oak sweetness
- Finish: long, oak offering variations of sweet dry, cream toffee in the end
- Nikka Yoichi 10 Year Old – single malt whisky, matured in new Hogshead oak, big, oily, Highland style Japanese Whisky
- Appearance: amber with gold reflection
- Smell: apple and apricot with notes of peat, light smoke, and spice
- Taste: light peat with rounded vanilla and tobacco, mint creams, then orange, a perfect balance between oaky and fruity notes
- Finish: after the creaminess, the peat surges back, long lasting finish revealing remarkable fruity, oaky and floral notes
- Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban – single malt whisky, the darkest and most intense Whisky in the extra-matured range, 10 years maturing in American white oak casks, before being transferred into specially selected ruby port pipesfrom the Quintas or wine estates of Portugal
- Appearance: rose gold
- Smell: dark mint chocolate, tangerines and Seville oranges mingle with sandalwood and walnut before giving way to a spicy finish of pepper and nutmeg
- Taste: mint chocolate and walnuts envelop the palate like velvet, laying the foundations for rose, Turkish delight and sweet Seville oranges
- Finish: long lasting silky aftertaste leaving dark chocolate mints and traces of orange
- Santis Cask Strength Peated – made from malt which has been smoked twiceover, and is stored in old beer barrels which have been smoked with oak wood, something quite unique in Whisky production. This causes a strong, smoky aroma of the Whisky.
- Appearance: dark amber
- Smell: oak barrels with a subtle aroma of apple-wood smoke, smoked ham, burnt charcoal, peat and malt
- Taste: smoke, smoked ham, Schlenkerla Bamberg Smokebeer, black bread, malty sweetness, hints of vanilla, wild berries and prunes, background hint of green figs on the silky texture as well as a subtle touch of phenol
- Finish: gentle, oaky, and wonderfully satisfying bitter touch, long-lasting finish
Try this Whisky Flaviar Tasting Pack and see if you can come up with the same tasting notes! Skip the crowded bars and save on your bar tab when you sign-up for a Flaviar Tasting Pack delivered straight to your door. No matter which tasting pack you choose, the Flaviar Tasting Packs are perfect to bring to social gatherings and make a great gift for spirit connoisseurs.